Don't toss out those shoeboxes, use them to make attractive storage boxes for your home office or craft room.
It seems such a waste to toss out empty shoeboxes, especially ones that are so well made. In this project you only need a few supplies to turn empty shoeboxes into stylish, practical storage boxes that look wonderful on a desk top.
Shoeboxes - at least 3 and preferably in different sizes
Acrylic craft -paint, white
Prominent Paints clear acrylic sealer or ModPodge
Craft knife and cutting board or mat
Awl or ice pick
Strips of leather or pleather (or recycle an old belt)
1. Apply two or more coats of craft paint onto the boxes. If you have some leftover paint after painting walls, you could also use this. Let each coat of paint dry before applying the next coat.
2. Once dry, apply 2 to 3 coats of clear acrylic sealer to protect.
3. Using a cutting board or craft mat to cut the leather or pleather into strips for the handles. A good size would be about 2 to 3 cm wide and 12 to 14 cm long.
4. Use an awl or ice pick to make a hole at both ends of the leather or pleather strap. Also make a matching hole in the centre of the front edge of the shoebox lid.
5. Push a brass fastener through the strap and box lid and open at the back to secure the strap firmly in place.
Now your shoeboxes are ready for use as practical - and attractive - storage.