Add luxury to your master bath
A beautiful en-suite bathroom adds a luxury touch to your home. We offer a few easy tricks that will add instant luxury without emptying out your wallet.
Everyone deserves a touch of luxury at home and there’s no denying the sense of luxury and indulgence that a beautiful en-suite bathroom can provide. The master bathroom is a highly personal space and there’s always debate about whether or not to upgrade a bathroom before putting a home on the market. When selling a home you have to take into consideration that tastes can vary, and for this reason estate agents tend to advise against costly renovations to bathrooms unless they are in a particularly bad state.
However, there are more than a few quick and easy tricks that can add instant luxury to an en-suite bathroom, and that will certainly help a sale (and your own enjoyment of the space) without costing a fortune.
If you're not planning on selling in the near future, then you don't need an excuse to create a designer bathroom. Keep these pointers in mind:
• Allow for a good-sized shower or bath, good water pressure, adequate storage and good sanitary ware and finishes.
• If you’re anywhere where winters are chilly, one of the best ways of increasing comfort in your bathroom is by adding heated flooring or a heated towel rail. These items look luxurious but also help to keep a bathroom dry and mould free. And there's nothing more luxurious than a cosy, warm towel after soaking in the tub.
• Incorporating modern technology to include such items as a hidden television, a Bluetooth-enabled tub, hidden cabinet speakers, and programmable shower settings, can make for the ultimate dream master bath.
How to add a touch of luxury to your master bathroom:
• A coat or two of quality paint can go a long way towards freshening up any room in a home, but particularly a bathroom. Select a paint that is able to handle the moisture levels in this room and one that is easy to wipe clean. Semi-gloss or gloss paints with a mould inhibitor are good.
• The easy installation of a large mirror on a wall facing or adjacent to a window can add heaps of light and a sense of luxury, as well as being a practical addition to a bathroom. Consider a retractable mirror too - these are extremely handy when shaving or applying make up – it can also be fitted into a tight spot. If there is no wall space available, consider propping a mirror up against the side or end of a bath for a heightened sense of space, or fitting one inside a shower – heavy-duty double-sided tape will do the trick.
• Keep the master bathroom uncluttered to appear spacious and inviting. Make use of clever or hidden storage such as recessed niches, mirror fronted cabinets, wire racks on the backs of doors, and drawers or baskets for bathroom appliances, accessories and essentials. It's easy to repurpose a reproduction or vintage bedside table for storage for toiletries and small towels.
• Switch out the handles on cabinets with ones that have luxury detail. Vintage brass, crystal or brushed chrome can easily be installed to replace pine or plastic knobs and handles.
• Decant cosmetics and wash products into crystal containers and treat as a work of art. A beautifully grouped selection of perfume bottles or an array of fluffy towels on an open shelf adds colour, interest and textural element to a bathroom.
• Keep windows open to allow ventilation and apply functional window dressings that complement the decor in a master bathroom.
• Lighting is essential in any bathroom
relatively affordable. Install spotlights around the
vanity or tub and include a dimmer switch on the
main light to add ambience. A feature fitting
such as a chandelier or something very modern
can instantly transform a bathroom.